How to Remove the Smell of Cat Urine from the Carpet – Natural Cleaning Methods
Probably, every pet owner has faced at least once in his life the fact that his pet has had an incident on the carpet or the favorite sofa. After that, a terrible aroma will undoubtedly appear in the apartment, which will be quite problematic to get rid of, because as practice shows, not everyone knows how to do it right. How to remove the smell of cat urine from the carpet and how to prevent its occurrence in the future? We will try to find the answers to these questions.
Basic rules you should follow:
In order for your cleaning to end successfully and the smell of cat urine really goes completely, remember the following tips:
- You need to wipe the puddle as quickly as possible, before it has yet to absorb. If the carpet is well soaked, and the urine has time to soak, the cat may periodically come back to this place;
- Never treat this area with agents that contain ammonia, since the result will be the opposite, and the only thing you will achieve is only to draw the attention of the cat.
To eliminate the unpleasant aroma from the carpet at home, it will be possible to use special purchased products that are sold in pet stores or household chemistry markets, as well as try to clean the carpet using natural cleaning recipes. However, which methods are the most effective?
The most effective methods for coping with cat urine smell
If you are racking your brains on how to get rid of the smell of cat urine on the carpet, then keep in mind that the most popular today, like several decades ago, are popular natural cleaning recipes. However, in order for the result to be positive and after a couple of hours the odor does not come back, you need to know what and how exactly to do. Here are the tools you can use:
- Laundry soap (you need to use one based on glycerin). Abundantly soap them with a sponge of medium hardness, and then walk it properly along the carpet. Now just leave the foam and wait until it is completely dry. After this, the cleaned area will need to be washed thoroughly;
- Glycerol. As practice shows, this is the substance that is considered optimal for eliminating such aromas. Glycerin can handle not only rugs, but also all other surfaces;
- Soap and hydrogen peroxide. Mix with each other 100 ml of peroxide, a teaspoon of liquid soap and fill it with 150 ml of cool water. Now sprinkle the affected area with soda and leave it to work for several hours. After this time, spray the pre-prepared liquid directly on top of the soda and rub it all into the carpet until foam appears. Then, the composition needs to be allowed to dry completely. It is necessary to remove its residues with a vacuum cleaner;
- Vinegar. As soon as you notice a puddle, absorb it as much as possible with toilet paper or ordinary napkins, and fill the stain with vinegar solution (vinegar just needs to be mixed with water in a ratio of 1: 3). When the liquid dries, pour a baking soda on top of the stain. You can clean the leftovers only the next day, this is also done with a vacuum cleaner.
The most common mistakes
Very often, cat owners wonder why, after cleaning, the smell has not gone completely. In most cases, this is because the wrong preparation was chosen for processing or just the cleaning was carried out incorrectly. Here is what you should not do:
- Use products that contain ammonia. If you try to remove the stain with the help of them, do not doubt that after a while the cat again goes to the same place;
- Eliminate odors with perfumes and various fresheners. If such an aroma is mixed with the smell of urine, it will simply become impossible to breathe in the apartment.
All of the described methods are effective enough to help you cope with smell of cat urine. However, if you have a cat, you should use professional carpet cleaning services 3 or 4 times a year. It is essential to contact a company that is well known for applying effective cleaning methods and pet-friendly cleaning products. ProLux Carpet Cleaning is the company whose services are using thousands of pet owners throughout London. You can benefit from special discounts and different promotions they have prepared for their clients, if you give them a call!